Commercial Director (m/f/d)
based in Bogotá, Colombia
Due to continued business expansion, we are looking for a Commercial Director (m/f/d) to support our project development activities in renewable energy in Colombia.
In 2018, MPC Capital, an international real assets investment manager, and Martifer Renewables, a developer of wind and solar energy projects have formed the joint venture “MMRED” in Colombia. Based in Bogotá, MMRED focuses solely on developing renewable energy projects throughout Colombia. Colombia is one of the most promising markets in renewable energies in Latin America. The demand for renewable energy in the market remains strong and attractive for investors. MMRED expects to be a relevant player in both solar PV and wind energy projects.
Support the execution of MMRED’s strategy to deliver consistent and sustainable project developments in renewable energy and to become a preferred renewables energy supplier in Colombia's energy market.
As a Commercial Director, you will be responsible for the commercial matters of the business supporting the project development from site identification to financial close. Furthermore, the Commercial Director shall continuously identify and develop commercially sound business opportunities to expand and grow MMRED. You will also support the management and shareholders in defining the commercial strategy in a highly dynamic market environment.
1. Business Development & Relations
- Identify and develop commercially sound business opportunities in solar PV and wind energy (project development)
- Continuously monitor execution of commercial strategy and business plan
- Craft marketing and sales strategy
- Secure and negotiate power purchase agreements (PPAs) with utility companies, distributors, industrials and other potential off-takers
- Develop strong relationships with all Colombian stakeholders
- Active participation in SER’s Colombia – Asociación Energía Renovable meetings and side activities in order to gain presence and visibility
- Develop strong relationships with banks, financing institutions, family offices and institutional investors in Colombia and the region
- Support management on complex and detailed investment and transaction financial models and quantitative analysis
- Lead project financing processes and support financial structuring of projects
- Ensure “bankability” of solar PV and wind energy projects throughout the development phase
- Identify and procure exit strategies to maximize shareholders’ return
3. Land Acquisition/Lease
- Support site identification process
- Lead commercial negotiations with land owners
- Ensure land acquisition and/or lease are completed within budget and in agreed time frame
- Manage consultants and/or contractors and ensure their performance
- Commercially evaluate and analyze regulatory policies related to renewable energy, energy storage and transmission projects
- Monitor regulatory programs and trends and advise the management as to likely future constraints and opportunities
The Successful Applicant:
Must be passionate about the renewable energy business, hardworking and thrive in the fast pace of a rapidly growing, early stage company.
Required Experience and Skills:
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading the development of energy projects in Colombia, experienced in development of wind / solar projects is an advantage
Excellent knowledge of the national energy market
Successfully negotiated PPAs for energy projects
Experienced in reporting to top management and investment committee
Good understanding of wind and solar energy technologies
Required Qualification and Personal Characteristics:
- Tertiary qualification within an engineering, commercial or financial discipline
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including report writing) in Spanish and English
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to confidently interact with senior management, external vendors and peers
- Highly organized, an eye to details, methodical and efficient
- Work will be conducted with minimal supervision and selected applicant must have demonstrated independent problem-resolution skills
We offer a competitive salary and full benefits package.